Saturday, July 12, 2014

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community

The three local or state organizations that appealed to me this are:  Commit2Dallas, Children’s Advocacy Center for Denton County, and Head Start of Greater Dallas. 
Early this year I applied to Commit2Dallas and was accepted in a long term professional development training that will begin this upcoming school year.  Their mission is to start within early childhood helping children become school ready and develop literacy skills by the end of third grade. 
CAC mission is to provide justice and healing for children who have been abused.  During this process, they offer emotional support, family services, therapy, counseling, and prevention education. 
I chose Head Start of Greater Dallas because of their high priority to partner with parents to ensure children get a great head start during the first five years of their life. 

As I look for job opportunities within each of these, Commit2Dallas have various ways to get involved but at this time there aren't any job announcements.  I also was unable to see any employment opportunities with the Children’s Advocacy Center but there are volunteer options.  The Head Start of Greater Dallas have teaching positions posted on their site.  At this level of my career, I am more interested in directing an early learning programs.  So, even though I didn't see any administrative positions in these three choices, there are plenty of director positions throughout the metropolis of Dallas.  I have acquired the education and skills needed to qualify me as a potential director for an already existing early learning center.  However, I would like to challenge myself to establish a new program within my community. 

For more information on the organizations I selected, please visit the following links:


5 comments:

  1. Hi Shonda,
    I enjoyed viewing your post. You provided some beneficial information. Some of the organizations I am interested in didn't provide any job opportunities either. Thanks for sharing.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shonda, congratulate on the job on Commit2Dallas for this upcoming year with your training. You have work hard to get the job you applied. I really enjoyed reading your post on ways you help others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shonda,
    It is very admirable that you are involving yourself in advocacy work with young children through your Commit2Dallas. I'm sure the right job will come along that you feel will be perfect for you. Good luck with your job hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Evening Shonda,
    I love seeing others from Texas in this class!!
    I had not heard of Commit2Dallas, so I had to go check out the website. I live an hour and a half south of Dallas so I really don't think it would be feasible for me to get involved at this point.
    We do have a local CAC in Johnson County. I had applied to volunteer several years ago, but began volunteering for CASA and the Family Crisis Center and simply ran out of hours. I think CAC is a great organization. CASA and CAC serve some of the same children so I feel as though I am still making a difference in the lives of those children as well. Denton County has a great CASA organization if you are ever in the position to advocate for abused and neglected children :-).
    I am sure you will find a director position in Dallas. Are you interested in a position with a corporation such as La Petite, Courtyard, Xplor or are you more interested in a family owned program. I know several centers in Dallas, Fort Worth and Arlington. Are you a member of TLCCA or TexasAEYC?
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Shonda,
    I enjoy learning about your career path and I wish you all the best on helping to make a difference in a child academic growth.
    Sophia

    ReplyDelete